The Stonesoft FW-300 is a firewall appliance that was discontinued by Stonesoft, I found one as I was looking for an headless little PC to use it as home server. I did not jet deployed it in my home network as I left it on my office desk after I installed it.
To install it I just did the following:
- I got my 256 USB stick. Inserted it my PC, unmounted it as it was automounted.
- I got the sid install files, that can be used also to install etch/lenny/squeeze, with following commands:
- I installed mbr, syslinux amd mtools using the following command:
- I created a FAT partion on the stick:
- I created the mbr:
- Set the USB stick to boot:
- Mounted the USB stick:
- I copied initial ram disk image and the mini iso to the USB stick:
- I edited the syslinux.cdf on the USB stick to let it boot using the serial port. I just added these two lines:
- At the end I umounted the USB stick:
- I inserted the USB stick in the appliance and started the standard installer.
The appliance did not boot the first time I tried. I rebooted entered BIOS setup and set it to boot for USB Floppy.